Thursday, July 19, 2012

Paradoces are fun

wow.  are you underwhelmed by two posts in consecutive days? 

Don't be.  This one is kinda gross.  

One of the coolest things about parenting a child with special needs is that perspective becomes what we might call skewed.

A bit of background.  DD had a godawful day at my parents' place.  A screaming, contrary, ugly, horrible day.  Alexander's day was NOTHING to this one.   (Sorry, Judith Viorst, but it wasn't!)  We both could see the Demie Diva in the alternative school, the "resource room", the ... NOWHERE that a child of her native smarts needs to be, to be honest.

It was also as if I were seeing her birthmother's educational background unfolding in front of me.  And, to be honest I was damned if I was going to see that start to unfold...or unravel.  This was one of those moments adoptive parents have, in which they understand...as if someone has hit them with a 2x4 to the head bold from the blue...WHY their child is theirs.  

The puzzle of the child's brain has always been fascinating to me in my professional life.  Figuring out how kids learn, and how they succeed in school has always been one of the greatest joys of my chosen calling.  

But I never thought I'd have to bring it all to bear raising my child.  sigh

After the terrible day, I called her neurologist and said "we've got to do something".  So...devil drug reduced again.  Lovely drug adjusted.  And thank God for high school classmates.  My current favorite is now a pediatric neurologist in the Hudson Valley.  I've been bouncing things off of him because..well, he's younger than the Demie Diva's neurologist which makes him a tad more receptive to the "gray" area of complementary stuff.

B6 baby.  Residual rages have stopped.  Stinker hissy fits are now age appropriate.  She's starting to follow directions.  AND...she's wet the bed a couple of times.

I know...eew.

Here's the paradox:  

The Demie Diva has not slept deeply since her epilepsy manifested itself.  Since fatigue is one of her triggers, her poor little brain just fires away.  Fatigue, as I know from my own ADHD brain, also exacerbates ADHD.  Recipe for horrible days in the making.

If she's wet the bed, then she's sleeping deeply.  If she's sleeping deeply, then she's resting.  If she's resting, then her brain is quiet.

Paradoces.  

Gotta love 'em.

5 comments:

  1. Target sells a great waterproof mattress cover that is not noisy plastic. Bed-wetting sounds great compared to the alternative. Hoping the med adjustment is just was DD needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry - that's "what DD needs". Not enough caffeine in my bloodstream yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, been there as far as bedwetting and meds changes go. It's so hard parenting a special needs kid sometimes even with two parents there. It's just hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok I just re read this again, is she getting B6? We're having some rages here too, over this summer and wondering what to give her to stop them. What is DD taking?

    ReplyDelete