Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Why I love Waldorf education

I should be in my bed, since enabling my child to get a Waldorf education requires that I go to sleep way earlier than I used to, but these thoughts have been tumbling inside my head for days, and I MUST get them out.

I love Waldorf education because my five year old, who still believes in magic and the existence of fairies with all her heart, is taught a song about the Candle Fairy, and incorporates her presence into her day so much that now when we have mid-morning snack at home, we have tea and the Candle Fairy is invited to come too.  

I love Waldorf education because my kinesthetic learner is taught that movement is entirely okay, and that her natural curiosity must and will be satisfied by digging for worms.  Every. Morning.  

I love Waldorf education because she is valued for the gentle and sweet child she is at heart - and cuddles are more than okay.

I love Waldorf education because her imagination soars each and every day.  And now, when she comes home and plays with her media-related toys, all of her inherent mixing of universes (Princesses to Fairies to Little People) is augmented with the mythic archetypes she hears about during story time.  

(Sorry,  I'm not ditching the toys that are associated with the happy family trip to Disneyland!  I'm sure that makes me a less than ideal Waldorf parent, but I've seen what happens to totally media-unaware kids in non-Waldorf high schools, and goodness knows she's enough of an individual without that killing her in 8 years or so. )

I love Waldorf education because the child of my heart is allowed to run, climb, and play.  And when she wants to make a see-saw for her dolls out of her name puzzle and her shoe, I know where that lesson in physics was taught.  

Mostly, however, I love Waldorf education because it fits my very unique child.  Long term readers of the adventures of the Diva household know that I have worried - in spades - about what to do with a kinesthete who is also ADHD and has epilepsy.  I still worry.  

Just not about school.

2 comments:

  1. I just love this post. do you mind if i share it on our school blog?
    www.seedsofjoyvillage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead. Just know that in other posts, I'm pungent and pithy.

      Delete