Thursday, April 18, 2013

Where have I been????

About the only place I haven't been is here.

As those of you who are faithful readers of my disjointed musings know, this is the time of year where the possibility of employment in my native state rears its head.  And, this is the time of year where I throw my resume in the mix and hope for the best.  Again, this hasn't happened.  This has been tougher than usual this year, as I realize more than ever that going home is totally on my mind.

In part, I suppose that is because as the Demie Diva ages, she becomes more adept at articulating her wishes and desires.  In part, it's because I see the aging of the Diva Grandparents and I know that I need to be there before they age to inactivity.  In part, it's because I just plain LIKE my native state.  So, that's three parts.  Then, there's the elephant in the room...yep.  the XH.

He is what he is.  That's all I'm saying.  The Demie Diva needs more than she'll ever get, and the Diva Grandpa is without question better at providing that from a distance than her father (who she refers to by his given name) is while living down the interstate a couple miles.

That's the negative...

Now, for the positive.

Wow.  What a difference the year makes.  She is THRIVING at the Waldorf.  THRIVING, I tell you.  She has discovered the art of handwork.  She likes to sit and sew - we have a house full of craft thread and a basket full of felt to stitch into all sorts of shapes.  The Demie Diva, with my help,  has painted a whole family for her dollhouse.  Santa brought some in her stocking.  The Easter Bunny brought the rest.  They have pretty well evicted the dollhouse peeps.  She says "ehscuse me" to anyone she walks past.  Remembers, sometimes, to say "ehscuse me" when she's interrupting.  She continues to develop her very healthy sense of humor - and show compassion for everyone.  I hear all the stories she hears, and the old-style counting rhymes, and the folk songs.  It is soooo much fun.

Those of you who have followed the epilepsy coaster on its journey up and down the tracks will appreciate this next.  Her neurologist, at our last visit, informed me that "sometimes, we get a miracle" and she, apparently, is it.  SQUEE.  That's right, folks.  My girl is a miracle girl.    I know you knew that, but when a been there/ done that kind of guy who was really flipped out by an EEG uses the word miracle...you cry.  Just a little.

She's found, I think, the hobby that is her passion.  Of course she has.  It's expensive.  Riding.  Saddleseat Riding.  She sat up there on her first day like she knew what she was doing.  LOVED the joy in her face.  LOVE the fact that she still asks every day if it's time for her riding lesson.   Could do without the haul to the barn...but really?  For what it teaches her about patience, focus, and calm?  I'd drive to Alaska.

Now, if you'll ehscuse me, I'm going to go do my job.

4 comments:

  1. I'm totally annoyed that you did not get the job and all I have to say is that the people from your state don't know what they're missing.

    So, so, so thrilled for DD and her miracle. You were about due.

    Riding? Holy expensive hobby batman. Better you than me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. I wish something would come up for you in your homestate. I do understand wanting to be closer and I know that you and the Diva would benefit from being close to the Diva grandparents.

    I'm SO happy for DD and her miracle. I agree, you were due!

    My brother would be so happy to know there is another rider out there. He loved riding, and had horses up to his death (my ex sister in law has them and I'm surprised she hasn't found homes for them because he trained them well). Good hobby to have.

    ReplyDelete