It's a valid question dear reader - assuming, of course, that you're even out there.
I have been in what can only be called "exceptional child hell".
All of us know our children are exceptional...but when you have a child whose exceptionalities impact their otherwise exceptional self, you know what stress really is. I'm not going to whine, and I'm going to stay as objective as I can....but here's what we've been up to:
OT for the Demie diva...after testing two years behind, she busted through in half the time, and met all the goals that weren't affected by her visual issue.
A neuropsych eval that measured her WISC score at 69. If you've met my kid...yeah, no. BUT, with a neuropsych who wanted her to get more ADHD meds, when the vision issue she has creates behaviors that are ADHD-like...and who discounts the visual issue.
And the visual issue - Vision Therapy required for something called Convergence Insufficiency. Short version? The Demie Diva's eyes didn't work binocularly. So, everything within 10" of her little face was blurry. Which, of course, explains why she couldn't copy the shapes on the WISC...
So that was another 12 sessions. She should have been in longer - but the kid again did it - and got herself discharged in the minimum number of sessions of therapy required.
Of course, I noticed that in the middle of the VT as she was rewiring her brain, she was seizing. And as she learned to read (HURRAH) she was seizing. So we did an inpatient Video EEG. (And five months later, we're still waiting on the report) Now, of course, her neurologist is treating symptoms. My pediatrican and I are wondering why no one is looking at the whole. The meds crash from her stimulant exacerates the epilepsy cahs she has to hold on to control harder. Enter non-stimulant. Neuro wants to put her on an old-school evil drug rather than go back to conjoint therapy...
I am tired.
That's where I've been!
What The What?
9 years ago

So THAT'S where you've been! Thanks for the update. Hope things get straightened out soon!
ReplyDeleteLeigh