This is, whatever else I might pretend it to be, a chronicle of my life as the single parent of a Demie Diva who happens to have Epilepsy and ADHD. "You're Making Me Nuts" just seems to fit our life. BUT, whether I want to admit it or not, I am now the parent of a special needs child.
The wife of one of my colleagues posted on her FB about a conversation she had with one of her daughters in which said child (who is also SN) asked about that label. The idea that SN kids need special attention and help from adults to do things that other children might do prompted the response "But isn't that all kids?" So, from a wise little girl comes my URL title.
Now, other questions/comments I have gotten over the years, and the answers I haven't given.
"I don't know how you do it"
Neither do I
"Well she is adopted."
Yes, and that means that I chose to be her mom, knowing that this might be in my future. Quite frankly, if you'd had to go through what I had to go through to be a parent, you never would have made the cut, and the village would be missing a couple generations of idiots.
"You always seem to be handling it well."
The hell I am.
"We think what you've done is so amazing, saving that child."
ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?!?!?!? She saved me. She saved me from a totally self-absorbed life. She is my reason for being, and is the love of my life.
"When will she outgrow her epilepsy?"
Hell if I know. Hopefully before she's 16. You see, if we can't get the seizures stopped, she's not gonna be able to get a driver's license. And, before you ask...yes, she's on medication. What the hell kind of dumbass do you think I am.
"She's really busy."
Yeah, that's what ADHD looks like in a preschooler. Welcome to hell without meds.
"Are you sure that medication..." or its corollary "Aren't you worried about what that medication will do to her?"
Nah, I think that any medication that I can dump into my kid that will stunt her growth, cause major rebound seizures if I stop them immediately, make her meaner than a snake, cause a daily battle, make her sleepy or be applied by anal syringe (gotta love rectal valium) is a freakin fabulous thing to dump into my four year old, slow down her psycho-social development, and generally scare the crap aout of anyone with an erg of sense.
I am sure that I've forgotten a few, but you know what, there's plenty more blog where this came from.

You guys are keeping me busy with the url changes here......and quit making your blog fancier than mine faster than I can. I mean it. You're making me look bad.
ReplyDeleteIf you get more posts up before me I will stomp my feet and huff and puff.
Oh jeez. Just don't hold your breath, okay? I hate that cyanotic blue on you; then you really look like something the raccoon barfed up!
Delete