Thursday, May 17, 2012

Ramblings - it's been a strange couple weeks...

What can I say?  I've been busy.  It's May.  I'm a teacher.

First...my beloved auntie's memorial was, as my mother put it, clearly not planned by the Hostess herself.  While I was sad that I wasn't with my family because that's what we do, I was so happy that I had the goodbye on the terms I did.

On that end, the Demie Diva is obsessed with picking flowers.  All of my flowers.  Right now, however, she is obsessed with my big, yellow, puffball marigolds.  Not to pick, however.  Oh no.  She calls them "Aunt C. Flowers".  When we were Skypeing with the Diva Grandparents on the day of my aunt's service, the Demie Diva came to the camera with a marigold she'd picked, held it up and said "Look Grandma, I picked this for Aunt C.".  My mother smiled through her tears.  The other day, with four of said flowers in bloom, the Demie Diva looked at them and said "Look, Mommy!  FOUR Aunt C. Flowers".

This makes me smile.  The Demie Diva doesn't know the story of my aunt earning the nickname "Marigold Boobs".  But, somehow, these puffball marigolds have become associated in my daughter's mind with my beloved aunt.  And you know what?  That's fabulous.

It's the end of the school year.  I'm tired.  We've had to deal with: senior pranks that weren't very funny; end of the year malaise; and an asinine law enacted by the state in which I live that is going to make the beginning of the school year a week later, and will keep our kids with public school siblings - and my colleagues with public school children - in school a week longer than said public schoolers.  Despite this, we could still cut NINETEEN days out of our school year, and be in compliance with state requirements.

NINETEEN days y'all.  If we weren't starting a week later than originally planned, we'd be about to cut out TWENTY-FOUR days.  And you wonder why I insist that the Demie Diva will NOT be in public school despite her federally protected needs?!

Which brings me to the next bit of insanity:  school for the Demie Diva.

Yeah, I know I told you we had it scheduled.  The problem is...what we were going to do is not an option.

So...in the middle of exam week, I get to visit two schools.   Both in the company of my XH.  One in the company of the Demie Diva, who's going to get to do an observation in a classroom while we do our thing.

To recap:  Last week of classes.  Exams.  Comments.  Graduation.  All of that is in the "must" list for work.  
Two school visits.  Decisions.  Pre-K graduation for the Demie Diva.  With cap and gown.

But that's another post.

1 comment:

  1. I love the marigold boobs. I totally believe your Aunt hears her when she talks about her too. Totally believe it.

    Hang in there hon.

    ReplyDelete