Monday, August 4, 2014

Did I mention the dogs?

Somewhere along the way, in the midst of occupational therapy, vision therapy, and a little bit of psychological therapy, I found myself increasingly drawn to a schnauzer rescue organization here in the Heart of Dixie....

I can't afford two dogs.  I can't afford to throw money at the rescue.  So, what's a girl to do?

Simple.  Become a foster home.

Shut up you...you know who you are...

Now, I had ulterior motives.

  • I teach children who are, for the most part, privileged.  My house is part of my employment package.  Yet, I give very little back to the wider community.  The Demie Diva's needs are such that, quite frankly, I can't always commit to a Saturday at X o'clock activity of service to others.  However, I could, here, show her how to give back with something that she loves.
  • I have a child who is pathologically afraid of letting go of me.  She has abandonment issues BIGTIME.  Look...here are doggies who are often abandoned, yet people care about them enough to love them and help them find forever families.  You too, little daughter, can give back and discover that it's possible to love something or someone that isn't "yours"...and perhaps you'll learn to trust someone besides your mother.
  • I have a child whose greatest gift is in earning the trust of animals.  For all the ADHD behaviors, she's a very gentle and empathic little creature.  This is something at which she can excel.  And, to be honest, God knows she needs that.

So...we now have three fosters successfully placed with their forever families.  I have made new friends who have a passion for the breed I love.  And, as I type, we've got two in the pipeline.

One, Blair, will be a quick stop at our house.  She was a stray, and just needs cleaning up and loving.

The other, Tripp, will come to our house soon-ish.  He is what my truly Southern friends call a "hot mess".  Little Tripp has had a hella trip.  He's about 3.  He has a significant heart worm infection.  He has scabies.  And somewhere along the way of his horrible wanderings, some asshat shot him in the leg, shattered it and he has managed on three legs.  The rescue will pay for his vet costs - the dips for the scabies;  the meds for the heart worm; and the amputation of the leg.

Today, they announced that we would be his foster family.  I have been called everything today from an angel to a saint.  The folks who actually DO this, know that what I am is nuckin' futs.  He's going to take a lot of work.  A. Lot.  

Somehow, I think that little Tripp will be very good for the Demie Diva.  

A lot of work, with great reward, all originating in love.  

Maybe that's the real reason I do this.

1 comment: