Saturday, May 19, 2012

Something for nothin'

Bear with me.  This has been something that's been making me NUTS for a while now.  And it's not that I am intending to disparage those parents for whom a preschool "graduation" is a significant event to be celebrated with FIVE mylar balloons, ONE bouquet of flowers, and every shirt-tail relative known to their child. ... but I have no doubt I will disparage them.

The Demie Diva graduated from preschool last night.  With cap, gown, and tassel.  And, as I watched my child doing the songs, overwhelmed by the excitement of her brother coming to her graduation, all I could think was...uff da.  Demie Diva's brother said it best, as he approaches his own high school graduation on Wednesday night..."Man, when did preschool graduation become a big deal?!"

At the same time, Soccer Dude, that we began to tell children that doing what was expected of them would merit constant affirmation of their worth as special, extraordinary, and unique human beings whose lives could never be  - nay, MUST never be - pock-marked by failure.

As a result, we have a generation of score-obsessed children and young adults, who never believe that they are less than perfect.  The cost to our society is one that, quite frankly, terrifies me.  I see it on a daily basis in my classroom...students whose ability is beyond considerable but who are afraid to take a chance as writers and thinkers because they might not get an A.  As a result, when I throw a creative assessment at them, they shut down and say "I can't".  OR, they have to be told how to be creative...or precisely what they can do,  when the assignment only tells them what they may not do.

I went to an amazing conference in March.  One that validated what I've always believed.  Kids can succeed, but it is my job as a teacher to make things fair.  NOT equal.  It's not fair to ask a short person to reach something on an upper shelf without providing a stepladder.

My job is to be the stepladder.  To teach all children...not just mine...that failure is okay.  That having to think outside the box requires a growth mindset, and that they'd by all that's holy and sacred better have it when they enter the workplace.

Our country is failing its students by demanding a one-size fits all classroom.  Our country is failing its students by telling them that they're all intellectually brilliant; the upper end is held back, and the lower end struggles to meet minimum standards.  Our country is failing its students by teaching them that "everyone" is outstanding at everything.

Because, guess what? As evidenced last night...my child sucks at staying in her seat, but she's fabulous at loving people and being compassionate.  

I know which adult I want her to be.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my dear. I could say soooooo much on this subject but this is such a tiny comment box. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all true. I see it in my grown niece and nephew and I see in it my son's classroom and elementary school.

    ReplyDelete